Shipping in WooCommerce – The Big Picture
In this article we are going to talk about the basic shipping options for your WooCommerce online store. Before we do that we are going to encourage you to consider free shipping. It is increasingly becoming a customer expectation so it’s certainly worth thinking about it as an option.
Will you offer free shipping? In your country or internationally? If you aren’t ready to offer free shipping yet, do a quick check and see what your competition is doing.
For your customers, free shipping may offer simplicity and a significant perceived benefit. If you research this topic you may find evidence that persuades you. Or seeing successful competitors offering free shipping might do the trick.
But for you, free shipping may mean hard work. Hard work to figure out how to price your products and manage all the possible permutations. The important thing to remember is that free shipping can remove a potential barrier to a sale. A recent report by the Baymard Institute shows unexpected shipping costs triggered 61%* of cart abandonments.
WooCommerce make several options available to you.
Some of standard shipping methods available from WooCommerce include:
- Free Shipping: free shipping for selected countries. Optional minimum order threshold. Optional free shipping coupon codes.
- Local Delivery: fixed rate or percentage of order shipping fees for a defined set of postcodes.
- International Delivery: rate for international (defined set of countries) shipping. Fixed rate per item, class of item or order. Optional fixed or percentage handling fee.
- Local Pickup: allow customers to pick up goods.
- Flat Rate: define a standard shipping and optional handling fee per item, class of item (e.g. Small, Bulky) or order.
These can be configured by your web developer during the building of your online store. You can also configure these yourself.
In addition, there are further options for shipping that involve the use of WooCommerce Extensions – a fee may be payable for the extra configuration involved with these extensions.
- Table Rate Shipping: define shipping rates by location, zone, price, weight, or item count.
- Per Product Shipping: individual shipping rates can be set per product.
- Australia Post: shipping cost calculated automatically from Australia Post lookup based on height/width/length of products in cart and shipping origin/destination. Shipment tracking for Australia Post also included.
OM4 is an Australian based web agency that helps you find customers and convert online. We specialise in creating custom designed WordPress and WooCommerce websites that our clients can update themselves. So you get to express your brand without being tied down to the constraints of a template, but you can still update your own content using a state of the art page builder. We develop plugins, so we know our way around code. Interested? We'd love you to get in touch.
Eliminate manual, repetitive WooCommerce tasks with Zapier by automatically connecting your order, customer, subscription or product data to thousands of popular cloud services.
- Take A Holiday From Your WooCommerce Store
- Improving Sales with Live Chat and Online Credit Card Payments
- Setting Up Google Analytics eCommerce Tracking in WooCommerce
- Shipping Heavy or Bulky Products Using WooCommerce
- Have you thought about adding gift vouchers to your Store?
- Using DeepEtch to manage WooCommerce product images
- Integrating WooCommerce with the Cloud using Zapier
- Include A Blog In Your WooCommerce Store Design
- Preventing Errors In WooCommerce Order Fulfilment
- Shipping, Returns & Privacy Policies in WooCommerce
- Here’s How To Increase Online Store Profit and Efficiency
- Boost Your WooCommerce Store’s Conversion Rate